Sunday, February 26, 2012

appearance is everything

As much as I hate to admit it, it's true- the way things look on a superficial level is a matter of importance. I, of all people, should probably be touting the "it's what is on the inside that counts" adage rather than the importance of the outward appearance of things, but I have come to terms with the reality of the situation.  It's been on my mind lately because I have found a new talent in marring my physical possessions: breaking them jut enough to not look good but dealing with it because the function is not affected. So far I have acquired a a dented computer, a scratched car, and a lackluster wardrobe- bothers me to no end, and yet the motivation to pay to have it fixed is so minimal because there is no functional affect.

Source: http://mcgarnagle.com/2011/07/08/girl-at-mirror/
But it matters, the things I own and my physical appearance should reflect the good that is contained within them. But then I struggle with the balance if what is actually important- the steak, or the sizzle. It doesn't help that I am in marketing and have been trained (and then professionally reinforced) to make it "pop" - that no one will read your message if it doesn't look good, or get your attention. It could be the best story on the face of the earth, but without the attractive frame, the message means less.

But should the sizzle define the steak? I mean just because we live n a world where it does, does that mean I should just adjust and therefore perpetuate the superficial appreciation of things? Or do I take the opportunity to try to make positive changes. And make people think more about what is on the inside and the fact that it is indeed more important than the way it looks. It is difficult to say.

All that being said, I have to reach down into my piggy bank and start replacing and repairing the things that I have become so good at breaking and try to figure out how to be ok with that. Also, I need to learn how to be more responsible with my things, even thought I usually am- really I just have to make the one little slip-up less dramatically impactful. Too bad I really live the whole "go big or don't go at all" thing, I just wish it didn't happen with the bad stuff too. #humph. Onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment