Thursday, April 28, 2011

but who's gonna save me?

As people, we are concerned with people, I'm pretty sure it is what makes us humans.  We want to take care of each other, to love and be loved by one another, impress one another; we want to belong.  Our lives are based on the way we incorporate others into it.  The way that I consistently find myself involving myself with people is by being there, listening and supporting them in their life goals.  Most of the time, that is all people want- someone to listen to them, to make them feel like the most important thing in the world, even if for only the 5 minutes we are listening.


It might not feel like it, but we can save people in a way, just by listening to them.  It makes them feel bettered and more empowered than  before, but also makes us better for having helped.  Sometimes, we get so caught up in saving in others we forget to save ourselves.  But I don't think we can actually save ourselves; we can look out for ourselves, we can make sure we have what we need that we are taken care of, but we cannot save ourselves.  We need other people- people to tell us we are wrong, people to tell us how to be right, to bounce ideas off of, to correct, to collaborate with, to talk to, to love.


We all need someone.  And we might not realize who it is until they are no longer there.  But when we do have that person or group of people we need to embrace them and support them in they way they (knowingly or unknowingly) supported you.  Not just because you never know when you are gonna need them, but because helping them is a way of helping yourself.


This whole thought makes me think of the quote that I first came to know when I visited the Holocaust Memorial in Boston.  Everyone needs someone to be there for them to be their best- be that someone when you can and embrace that someone when you have them.


“They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they cam for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.  Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was Protestant.  Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up”  - Martin Neimoller
The Memorial- you really should go take it in one day if you ever get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment