Wednesday, April 13, 2011

every time it rains

I know why they wrote that song, the rain SHOULD go away and come back another day... for us only to sing the song again to make it leave once more.  We don't lik the rain, which makes sense- the rain stinks!  The skies are gray, the roads are slippery, your hair frizzes, you can't bring your nice bag out, puddles seem like the Pacific Ocean separating you and the office building with the potential to ruin your pants.  Long story short, rainy days are crappy days.  And everybody shows it; no one bursts in the door celebrating the "glorious weather" on a rainy day, unless they are trying to make a joke (which really isn't even funny considering a statement like this just remind you of the crappy weather which brings down the mood.).  But where would we be without the rain?

Rain nourishes the earth, water is necessary for life.  Not just because all living things need water, but because we need something to compare the nice days to so that we know they are, in fact, nice.  In nature, there is balance- for every weed there is a flower, for every desert an ocean, for every cat a dog.  Nothing comes without an opposite in some sense which we need to give us the full picture of life.  So as much as I hate the rain, I know it is necessary to make the nice days nicer, literally and by comparison.

Too bad it's not easy to remember that on the rainy days.  I always find myself sad, unproductive, cranky, moody- generally unpleasant.  And on top of that I find that everyone I deal with has a fairly poor disposition as well.  Makes for an even longer and more miserable day than usual.  The whole day gets me down, and the further I get the more I just find myself going through the motions and begging for the night to come and take away the day.  But I don't want to go through life waiting for it to be over.  Even if it is only one day, it is one day that I will never get back and I spent it wishing for an end.  FAIL.

Life should be appreciated for what it is, not spent wishing and hoping and definitely not just waiting.  We need to embrace what each day gives us, no matter how crappy it seems.  In fact, it is these crappy days that will give us more in the long run.  Life is, after all, what we make it more so than what we are given.  Carpe diem.  Take the bull by the horns.  Attack life and don't let it attack you.  The rain brings nourishment, renewal, invigoration.  So even if today was a bust, tomorrow is brimming with the possibility of success, don't let that one go.


No comments:

Post a Comment